How would you see the particles? I have been fascinated by Cloud Chamber for several years but never had the chance to see one nor make one. And that dream came true at CERN… (ok there were many more dreams that came true, including coming to CERN).
S’Cool Lab is the educational section of CERN that holds hands-on workshops for high school students, and they have all the materials needed for Cloud Chamber.
- Put in dry-ice in the bottom container
- Make the felt soaked in 99% isopropyl alcohol
- Add a metal plate on top, with 99% isopropyl alcohol in the notch
- Put on the aquarium that has the felt on top
- Wait and see the cloud forming
- 在水族箱上方的毛氈中倒入99% 異丙醇直到吸滿
When the particles in the cosmic rays pass through the fog, will leave a beautiful trace of white cloud. We also had some nice photos and videos made:
Note: The video is a commercial cloud chamber, not a DIY one.
It was amazing seeing the particles goes through the fog and forming a denser line within the fog, and thinking how all these particles are passing through us at the moment when we were watching.
I can just watch it for hours and hours and hours….